Lost Friend in My Back Seat






A few months after my friend Kevin died, as I drove past his apartment building, I had the distinct impression that he was in the car with me. A moment later, I felt something push me through the back of my seat, like someone’s knee poking me through the material. It wasn’t scary at all, but it was a little strange. I was the one who found Kevin in his first-floor apartment after he had passed. We had tickets to go see Patti Smith (who I still have not seen) and I came over to pick him up. When no one answered the door, I tried to look through the window to see inside, but I wasn’t tall enough. At that moment, someone in a beige truck pulled up and got out. It was another of Kevin’s friends who also had tickets to see Patti Smith, but for the night before. He told me Kevin hadn’t show up and he hadn’t been able to reach him. He got back into his truck and drove it up on the sidewalk. We both stood on top of the roof and looked in. Kevin was in his bed, stiff and pale looking. It was obvious to us both that he was dead. We called the police and with a few minutes an ambulance arrived. When the police opened the door, I quickly went in and found Kevin’s two cats, Squeak and Zen Kitty. I located their carrying cases, put them both in, and also took a few of Kevin’s plants with me and left. I got his cats adopted to another of his friends and I still have Kevin’s Gold Dust plant.

Comments

Popular Posts